I am an experienced college consultant who knows college admissions from the inside. I have worked in admissions at both Harvard and MIT, have read thousands of applications, interviewed over a thousand applicants, and participated in admissions committee meetings and decisions at both institutions. I know what colleges are looking for and how to help your student effectively crystallize his or her strengths and unique qualities in an application.
I offer students a unique constellation of skills and experience. I hold a B.A. in French Literature from Vassar College and an Ed.M. from Harvard University. In addition to my years as a college admissions officer, I also have had a career as a literary agent- helping authors develop their ideas for books, guiding them through the process of expanding their ideas, and editing their manuscripts. My dual background as a college admissions officer and a professional editor makes me well-suited to assist students with college essays and college applications. I help students maximize their impact at every step of the application process, including:
- Discussions regarding high school record, educational and extracurricular issues and course selection
- Development of initial college list and refinement of final college list uniquely suited to the student
- Assistance with applications, essays and extra-curricular resume, focusing on strengths and talents
- Advice and planning regarding college admissions testing, recommendations, etc.
- Interview preparation
- Discussion of application strategies involving early decision/early action and rolling admission
- Assistance in keeping the student organized and on task
- Taking stress off the parent/student relationship during the college process
- Procedures to follow if deferred or wait-listed
- Assistance with decision-making regarding final college choice
My students come from both public and private schools, and represent a broad swath of interests and academic abilities. I also assist students with admissions applications and essays for graduate school and MBA programs, medical school and law school.